Friday, August 10, 2007

Isaiah 27:6-11

As I was reading in Isaiah this morning, I was starting too feel overwhelmed at all there was in these verses. A part of me wants to bring up every point I see here in this blog. But reason is telling me that may not be possible unless I want to stay in Isaiah for for the next few years. So with some heartache much of what is in these 6 verses will be left out. But feel free to study and meditate on them in your own time. Now...

Verse 11 seemed a little troubling to me when I read it. It seemed contrary to the character of God. But in my questioning and thinking, God directed me back to verse 10. As I read this two verses together, i was able to find 1--justification for why God acted the way he did, and 2--an important lesson I should heed closely.

These people God refused compassion and favor on, were people who were so blind they ignored the fact that there was a city which they could reside in safely, a fortified city that would protect them. Instead they treated it like an abandoned ghost town.

Psalm 18:2 says "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge" (NIV). But how often I do choose NOT to dwell in that fortified city? NOT to take refuge in the arms of the Almighty? There is no hope for me on my own.

And so my prayer this morning is the same as David's, expressed in Psalm 27:4--

"One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek:

That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD
And to meditate in His temple" (NASB).

1 comment:

Steve Isham said...

thanks for these thoughts - encouraging!