Thursday, September 27, 2007

Isaiah 28:14-22

"therefore thus says the Lord GOD, 'Behold, I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion,
a stone, a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation:
"Whoever believes will not be in haste."
And I will make justice the line,
and righteousness the plumb line;
and hail will sweep away the refuge of lies,
and waters will overwhelm the shelter.'"—Isaiah 28:16-17 (ESV).


When the LORD speaks, it would behoove a person to pay close attention. I cannot help be feel an overwhelming joy and peace when I read these verses. Life is full of projects and deadlines and meetings. Life is full of busyness. And overtime they begin to wear a person down. They wear me down anyway. It is all too easy for me to get caught up in doing things that I forget to spend time with my Creator. And eventually I forget that he is in control of everything. And then I read the news and wonder where the good is.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote the song titled, “I Heard the Bells On Christmas Day.” One of the verses says: “And in despair I hung my head. ‘There is no peace on earth,’ I said. ‘For hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men.’”

But the next verse says: “Then pealed the bells more loud and deep! God is not dead nor doth he sleep. The wrong shall fail the right prevail, with peace on earth, good will to men.”

How reassuring it is to know that the one whom I put my trust in, whom I given my life to, has laid strong foundation, a tested (and proven) stone that will last for eternity. When I stop and think on these verses and what they say about God, all things simply fade away and the only thing left standing is Jesus Christ.

My confidence is in him and him alone.

1 comment:

Coffee Joe said...

And let us remember we do not have confidence in a cuddly buddy, but in the G-d who shakes the earth with the sound of His voice.