Monday, July 2, 2007

Isaiah 26:16-19

Verse 19, quite honestly, left me a little bewildered. Yet for some reason, it grabs my attention. perhaps it's the beauty, the poetry. Though I don't fully understand it, I can't help but wonder if this verse is referring to the resurrection of the saints talked about in 1 Thessalonians and Revelation.

In any case, it is verse 18 that I wish to point to today. "We were pregnant, we writhed, but we gave birth to wind" (v. 18a, ESV). This picture seems to illustrate the futility of man when he attempts to do things on his own apart from God. Even though this passage is referring to God's chosen people, all mankind, and especially Christians, can learn from this. For God cannot be limited.

The second half of verse 18 reinforces the illustration. Only God can deliver people. Only God can bring down the enemy. Without God, man is nothing. "Apart from [God] man can do nothing" (John 15:5, ESV).

1 comment:

Steve Isham said...

Enlightening post. I agree the birth image is a poignant take on futility with a 'contemporary' feel.
v. 19 is wonderful and full of hope even if hard to understand. It may point to the restoration of Israel but there seems to be anticipation of hope of bodily resurrection. (I really like the ESV translation too.)