Sunday, June 17, 2007

Isaiah 25:6-12

As I read this passage, I was struck by the beauty and the hope of this scene. A description of heaven and our reaction to it. Everyone once in awhile, with, perhaps, the exception of Revelation, God provides us a glimpse of our true home. Hebrews 11:10, 13-16, tells of people of God who were promised a country of their own, but knew that this country was a heavenly one. All Christians in history who have died, have died in faith, knowing that there is a place for them and one day we will see it.

But God, in all his wisdom, has periodically given us tiny glimpses of the country. It is done, I believe, so we do not forget that which we live for. Christ came to earth and constantly preached about the Kingdom. Prophets have prophesied about it; people have had visions about heaven. To forget about heaven and eternity is to forget an important reason why we're here. It is to lose hope. But God, knowing that without reminders we forget, lose our way, lose hope, get discouraged, periodically reminds us of what is to come.

One of the most incredible verses in the passage for me is verse 7. For as Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known" (ESV).

No comments: