Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Isaiah 7:1-9

Isaiah is one of the most powerful books in the Bible, but that is just my opinion. The imagery and poignant languages, working together with the power of the Holy Spirit, bring me suddenly to stop, grabbing my attention and riveting my thoughts on the all powerful Creator and his magnificently powerful Word. I was first abruptly stopped by verse 2 of chapter 7: “When the house of David was told, ‘Syria is in league with Ephraim,’ the heart of Ahaz and the heart of the people shook as the trees of the forest shake before the wind” (ESV, Italics added). I don’t know much about either city, but that news was sure terrifying.

I wonder if I’ve ever been that scared. So sacred I have shaken “as the trees in a forest shake before the wind.” It was an abrupt halt that fully captured my attention and held it, right up to the “punch line,” the final statement that suddenly made me stop and think, that quieted and humbled my heart before the mighty King of the Universe. In the very words of God himself (v. 7), verse 9b reads: “If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all” (NIV).

No comments: