Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Isaiah 24:1-3

Sometimes I wonder how much it really matters what we do, that is, what career path we follow. It seems to me that as a society, and probably even throughout the world, we put too much value in what a person does. We assign worth based on what a person does for a living.

And then I read this passage and see that in God's eyes, we are all equal. It doesn't matter how much you make or what job you have. To compare yourself to other people is pointless really. Only from God do we gain true, lasting worth.

I am reminded of the parable from the New Testament of the Pharisee and the tax collector (Luke 18:9-14). It doesn't matter so much how people see you. What matters is how God sees you, and he sees your heart.

Who then are you trying to please? God, or man (Psalm 19:14; Matthew 6:24)

Maybe our prayer this morning should be Psalm 139:23-24:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead my in the way everlasting!"

No comments: