Thursday, May 17, 2007

Isaiah 25:1-5

As I read through Isaiah, and any other book of the Bible for that matter, I wonder sometimes just how much I miss in reading. For example, I read this passage yesterday morning. Today I read it again. But in reading this morning, I noticed something I was completely oblivious to yesterday.

As I have gone through Isaiah, I have learned and seen that God is all powerful, mighty, awesome, and holy. He is a being to be respected and feared above all other imaginable thing or person. He is full of grace and mercy and truth as well as anger and jealousy. Let me now direct you to verse 4. We see here, that through all his power and justice, wrath and punishment, God still has plenty of compassion for the hurting and needy.

I am reminded of part of the sermon on the mount. Matthew 6:25-35. God takes notice and feeds the birds of the air. "Are you not of more value than they?" (v.26, ESV). "If God so clothes the grass of the field. . . will he not much more clothe you?" (v.30, ESV).

God doesn't forget those who are in need, who are poor, who are in distress. Rather He comes through for them. He is their stronghold. He is "a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat" (v.4, ESV).

No comments: