Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Isaiah 17:1-8

Perhaps it is time I share something I learned (or re-learned) recently. About a week ago, I had been asking myself the question, how do I maximize my talents and passions and desires so as to be most effective for God? This led to a question about sacrifice. Does God want me to sacrifice my desire to serve him overseas so that I can stay here and be a voice for overseas missions and missionaries? Then all off a sudden it clicked. I saw that my focus was all wrong. It was on me. I realized at that moment that when I put my focus on God, completely removing myself from the picture, what I do next in my life, in my future, doesn't matter.

In fact, in the presence of the Almighty, nothing matters except him alone.

"In that day man will look to his Maker, and his eyes will look on the Holy One of Israel. He will not look to the alters, the work of his hands, and he will not look on what his own fingers have made, either the Asherim or the alters of incense" (Isaiah 17:7-8, ESV).

In the presence of the God of the Universe, the Creator, there is simply no room for self, no room for pride. Humility and fear are all that remains.

No comments: