Thursday, April 12, 2007

Isaiah 21:1-10

Oracle-(n) 7. any utterance made or received as authoritative, extremely wise, or infallible (Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.).

Isaiah 21:1--"The oracle concerning the wilderness of the sea"(ESV).
Isaiah 21:10--"O my threshed and winnowed one, what I have heard from the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, I announce to you"(ESV).

There is much in this passage which I am struggling to understand. What is the meaning? Is this speaking figuratively to someone, or are we being given a chance to listen in on a conversation God is having with nature?

Let me go back to verse one. The "wilderness of the sea"? Huh? Wilderness is something I have always associate with land, terra firma. But here it is being associated with the sea.

There is so much in these 10 verses, and sadly, my feeble mind cannot grasp any of it. There is certainly frustration that comes with days like these, but I can also learn to relish these times. It is the lack of immediate understanding and application that
troubles me, and thus forces me to spend prolonged thought rather than reading, saying thank you, God, and going on with my life. It is passages like these that force and challenge me to think.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" (Psalm 119:105, ESV). God's word gives me the knowledge I need walk the path He's laid out for me in this life. But he has his own reasons for not revealing his Word right away. I still have to trust him. And thankfully, it doesn't make him any less of a God.

No comments: