Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Isaiah 21:1-10 (Take 2)

I have not written here for the last few days mainly because I have been troubled enough by the first ten verses of this chapter. I have had to read them over and over again. But today I am, perhaps, gaining a little insight... or at least I am able to finally hear the truth God might have for me.

The oracle concerning the wilderness of the sea
As windstorms in the Negev sweep on,
It comes from the wilderness, from a terrifying land.

A harsh vision has been shown to me;
The treacherous one still deals treacherously, and the destroyer still destroys

Go up, Elam, lay siege, Media;

I have made an end of all the groaning she has caused.

For this reason my loins are full of anguish;
Pains have seized me like the pains of a woman in labor.

I am so bewildered I cannot hear, so terrified I cannot see.

My mind reels, horror overwhelms me;
The twilight I longed for has been turned for me into trembling.

(Isaiah 21:1-4, NASB)

"I have made an end to all the groaning she has caused. For this reason..." In making an end to the groaning, Isaiah, speaking from God, has taken all the pain and sorrow upon himself. He describes in vividly in verses 3 and 4. I wonder if this is, in some way, an analogy to what Christ did on the cross. No doubt he saw the pain and suffering and death in the world, but he also saw the evil, the sin, and when he died on the cross, he bore our sins. And I would not be surprised if the pain he felt was similar to what Isaiah is feeling here. Perhaps this is something we should pause for a moment and think about...

No comments: